List of Resources


Social Security & Veteran Benefits

Social Security Benefits

We as a funeral home will begin this process for you by mailing in form SSA-721 the Statement of Death by Funeral Director.  To be eligible for monthly benefits you must have credit for work covered by social security, ranging from 1 ½ to 10 years depending on your age at death.   If your survivors meet the eligibility requirements they will receive your monthly social security benefit.

Who is eligible for Monthly  Survivors Benefits? 

  • A widow or widower 60 or older
  • A widow or widower 50 or older if they are disabled
  • A widow or widower of any age if they are caring for your child who is younger than 16 or is disabled and receiving social security benefits.
  • Your children may receive benefits also if they are younger than 18
  • Your children if they are between 18 and 19 but in an elementary or secondary school full-time as a student.
  • Your child or children if they are 18 or older and are severely disabled (the disability must have started before age 22)
  • Also your parents may be eligible if they were dependent on you for at least half of their support.

Lump-Sum Death Payment
              A onetime payment of $255 will be paid in addition to the monthly benefits described above.  The lump sum death payment is paid in the following priority order

  • A surviving spouse who lived in the same household as you.
  • A surviving spouse entitled to benefits for the month of death.
  • A child or children entitled to benefits for the month of death.

Applying for Benefits
               Your survivors will then need to contact Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 and follow up to see if any other benefits are available for them to apply for. Your family must apply in order to receive these benefits.  To contact Racine county Social Security office call 262-554-4089

Veterans Benefits

 Who is eligible?

  • Any person who was an active or retired member of the military at the time of their death.
  • Any veteran that was honorably discharged from the military.

 Any person meeting the description above is entitled to the following benefits:

  • An American flag that may either be draped over the casket or folded into a triangle and placed at the head inside the casket.
  • Burial in a National Cemetery
  • A flat marker made of either bronze, marble or granite or an upright marker made of marble
  • Military honors which can include: The folding and presentation of the flag, the playing of taps and a riffle salute.
  • A Presidential Memorial Certificate
  • There may also be monetary benefits to the family if the deceased was entitled to receive VA compensation or a pension at the time of death. Or if the deceased died while a registered patient in a VA hospital or other accredited VA facility.
  • If not remarried, the surviving spouse is also eligible for burial in the National Cemetery.
  • Also all dependent children are eligible for burial in the National Cemetery.

We would be pleased to assist you in filing for these benefits, if you will provide us with a copy of your loved ones Honorable Discharge papers.

For further assistance and information from the VA you may contact them at 1-800-827-1000 or visit their website at